Friday, December 31, 2010

Thoughts on The 2010 Debut Author Challenge & other Reading Challenges of the Year

The concept of a Reading Challenge is a wonderful one.  It hopefully motivates us to reach beyond what we would normally read and stretch ourselves.  However, most of the time, I find that life gets in the way and I am unable to actually complete a challenge. 

Here are some of my thoughts on the Challenges that I did participate in:

A to Z Challenge:
With the A to Z Challenge (on GoodReads as part of the Wild Things: YA Grown Up Group) this summer, I read 26 books but didn't really get to every letter in the alphabet (thanks @angelasunshine on Twitter).  It was a fun reading challenge, and I enjoyed the on-line interactions with the other participants.  Can't wait for the A to Z Author Challenge which starts on January 1, 2011. 

Twitter's Book-a-Day Challenge (#bookaday):
With the Book-a-Day challenge started by Donalyn Miller, The Book Whisperer (@donalynbooks on Twitter) this summer, I actually found myself reading more than the equivalent of a book per day.  I also expanded my reading greatly by the interactions I found with the other participants.  I explored Graphic Novels and Manga for the first time.  Discovered that my love for picture books could be considered "real reading", and explored books in all genres that were truly wonderful.  The on-line Professional Learning Network that was developed through this challenge is still going strong and one that I deeply value.

The 2010 Debut Author Challenge:
One of my favorite challenges was the 2010 Debut Author Challenge hosted by The Story Siren (Kristi).  The goal was to read at least 12 Debut Author books.  I managed to read 21 Debut author books (including 3 debut picture books and there are probably more that fit the picture book categories), currently in the middle of 3 more 2010 debuts, and have a full stack of a lot more 2010 debuts that I wanted to read but just ran out of time.  In addition to reading these books, I loved interacting with the Debut Authors on-line, supporting their book signings when possible, and creating a buzz for their books even if I didn't get a chance to read them, yet. 

The ones I managed to read on time:
Joelle Anthony - RESTORING HARMONY
Josh Berk - THE DARK DAYS OF HAMBURGER HALPIN
Bob Boyle - HUGO & THE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LONG STRING(*)
James Burks- GABBY & GATOR
Kay Cassidy - THE CINDERELLA SOCIETY
Jennifer Cervantes - TORTILLA SUN
Shannon Delany - 13 TO LIFE
Lindsay Eland-SCONES & SENSIBILITY
Adam Gidwidtz - A TALE DARK & GRIMM
Christina Diaz Gonzalez - THE RED UMBRELLA
Judith Graves - UNDER MY SKIN
Teri Hall - THE LINE
Rhonda Hayter - THE WITCHY WORRIES OF ABBIE ADAMS
Anastasia Hopcus - SHADOW HILLS
Jacqueline Houtman - THE REINVENTION OF EDISON THOMAS
Jennifer Hubbard - THE SECRET YEAR
Heidi R. Kling- SEA
Lauren Oliver - BEFORE I FALL
Candace Ryan - ANIMAL HOUSE (*)
Kristin Walker - A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL
Jacqueline West - THE SHADOWS
(*) picture books

Currently debut novels in progress:
Tara Kelly - HARMONIC FEEDBACK
Lish McBride - HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER
Kiersten White - PARANORMALCY

Wished I had gotten to sooner - but they are coming:
Alexandra Bracken - BRIGHTLY WOVEN
Kimberly Derting - THE BODY FINDER
Rachel Hawkins - HEX HALL
Karen Healey  - GUARDIAN OF THE DEAD
Karen Kincy - OTHER
Daisy Whitney - THE MOCKINGBIRDS

So what challenges did you participate in and how did you do?