Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (27)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

I have to admit that with school out it is much easier to get reading time in.  This past week, I actually managed to get in some decent reading.  Don't forget to check out my Hot Off the Press! post from yesterday for several additional books and also stop by on Wednesday for several others.  I divided up my reading between the three posts.

Here are some favorites from this past week:


Off to Class: Incredible and Unusual Schools Around the World by Susan Hughes
An around the world look at a variety of schools in all kinds of settings and environments.  The pages are a bit crowded and the text can be a little "text-booky", but I can see this one being good for discussing diversity and also expanding children's views of what school looks like.


Small Bunny's Blue Blanket by Tatyana Feeney
This one is for all those kids who are attached to a blanket (and even adults who remember their blanket) - it captures the emotional attachment to a blanket perfectly...I loved it when the mother said it "would only be 1 minute while the blanket washed and it was really 107 minutes" - This would be a good read aloud too.


The Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng; Illustrated by Abigail Halpin
As I read this one, I kept thinking of students that I thought would like it or relate to the characters. It is one of those books that I can't wait to share with students in the fall.  I might even email a few of them to share sooner.  


Notes From the Dog by Gary Paulsen
A quick Middle Grade/Upper Middle Grade read and good for those kids who don't want something long and drawn out. Finn wants to just spend the summer holed up reading books, but when he meets Johanna - a twenty-something young woman battling cancer - life changes. 

So, what will you be reading this week?

I will be heading off to ALA later in the week and not exactly sure what I will be reading.  However, I expect to find some great stuff.