Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 2/25/13

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

After a few weeks of a reading slump, I finally found myself getting back into a great reading routine.

Here is what I have been reading:

Picture Books that stood out of the stack:


I'm Not Reading! by Jonathan Allen (Boxer Books, February 2013) - This one made me chuckle several times as I read it.  I think it might make a good read aloud.  I am going to test it out this week.


Perfectly Percy by Paul Schmid (Harper Collins, January 2013) - I like Paul Schmid's books.  In this one, a porcupine and a balloon come to an understanding.

Early Readers:

Pete the Cat: Pete's Big Lunch by James Dean (HarperCollins, February 2013) - Pete the Cat in an early reader is just as fun as Pete the Cat in a picture book. 


Everything Goes: Henry on Wheels by Brian Biggs, Simon Abbott (HarperCollins, February 2013) - I just love the big books for Everything Goes and the early readers.

Graphic Novels, Middle Grade Novels & More:


Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer by Jane O'Connor; Illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser (Harper Collins, January 2013) -Fancy Nancy has moved to an early chapter book format that works for 2nd and 3rd graders. 


The Bird King and Other Sketches: An Artist's Notebook by Shaun Tan (Scholastic, February 2013) - Getting an inside peek at the work of Shaun Tan - so fun.


Astronaut Academy: Re-entry by Dave Roman (First Second, May 2013) - Astronaut Academy is back.  Look for this in May. 


Better Nate Than Ever by Tim Federle (Simon & Schuster, February 2013) - Federle's debut story is about an 8th grader who decides to pursue his dream of trying out for a Broadway musical.  A full review to come.

Reading with my ears:


Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (Random House, 2012) - I started listening to this and it will take me a little longer to finish it but I love the audiobook of this story so far.

What I am reading this week:

Platypus Police Squad: The Frog that Croaked by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Walden Pond Press, May 2013) -Krosoczka debuts his first full length Middle Grade novel.  It will be out in stores in May 2013. 


Navigating Early by Claire Vanderpool (Random House, January 2013)

Check back on Wednesday for all of the nonfiction picture books I have been reading.  And stop by on Thursday for a Baseball edition of What I am Reading?

So, what are you reading?