Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 8/5/13


It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers have adapted it to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Lately, reading has been this weird adventure.  With my head caught up with the two classes I am taking and some changes at work, I find myself wanting "comfort food" reading.  This means, I want to return to books that I have read, where I know the characters and if there is going to be a happy ending.  I find it is my way of coping with uncertainty, change, and stress.  However, it does nothing for making a dent in my "to-read" pile.  Despite the tug to go after the familiar, I did actually get quite a bit of award reading done, and had time for a few other titles.

Here is what I can talk about that stood out from the pile...


Same, Same, But Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw (Henry Holt and Co., 2011) - I am late to the party in discovering this book, but it really is nicely done and would be a great addition to a diversity collection for any classroom.


Snowflakes Fall by Patricia MacLachlan; Illustrated by Steven Kellogg (Random House, October 29, 2013) - This one doesn't come out until late October.  Patricia MacLachlan pairs up with Steven Kellogg to create a tribute to the children who were lost during the shooting at a Sandy Hook school. 


Flying Solo: How Ruth Elder Soared Into America's Heart by Julie Cummins; Illustrated by Malene R. Laugesen (Roaring Brook Press, July 23, 2013) - I reviewed Flying Solo this past week.  Click on the title to see the review.


Squirrel's Fun Day by Lisa Moser; Illustrated by Valeri Gorbachev (Candlewick, June 11, 2013) - This early reader is about friendship, fun, and a few lessons about how to care for your friends. 


Rules by Cynthia Lord (Scholastic Press, 2006) - I did re-read this one, but I read it for a class assignment.  And despite having read it before and knowing exactly how it would end, I still managed to find myself reaching for the tissue box.  There is no question in my mind why this one received both a Newbery Honor and a Schneider Family Book Award in 2007.  Everyone should read this book.

So, what are you reading?