Monday, June 17, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 6/17/13

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

My reading stack this week was a bit eclectic.  There were a few picture books, a few graphic novels, some nonfiction, and some fiction.  However, I am glad to report that for the past couple of weeks I have been enjoying what I am reading.  For a few weeks, nothing seemed exciting.  Now I can't decide what I want to read first.

Here is what jumped out of the stack this week:


Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas by Jim Ottaviani; Illustrated by Maris Wicks (First Second, June 11, 2013) - I have been talking about this one for several weeks.  Glad to have finally read it.  If you haven't added this to your summer reading, please do.



Squish 5: Game On! by Jenni Holm and Matt Holm (May 1, 2013, Random House) - I finally picked up a copy of Game On!  And it is the best Squish book so far and I have loved them all.


The Show Must Go On! (Three Ring Rascals #1) by Kate Klise; Illustrated by M. Sarah Klise (Algonquin Books, September 10, 2013)- Sister team Kate and Sarah Klise have a new series for 7 to 10 year olds.  This was a fun, quick read and will make an enjoyable read aloud.  Look for it in the fall.


Crankee Doodle by Tom Angleberger; Illustrated by Cece Bell (Clarion Books, June 4, 2013)- Angleberger and Bell team up for a hilarious tribute of sorts to Yankee Doodle Dandy.



The New Arrival by Vanya Nastanlieva (Simply Read Books, April 30, 2013) - A sweet look at what is it like to be new in the neighborhood.


No Fits, Nilson! by  Zachariah Ohora (Dial, June 13, 2013) - Sometimes little girls can throw gorilla-sized tantrums.  I really enjoyed both the art and text in this one.


A Little Book of Sloth by Lucy Cooke (Margaret K. McElderry, March 5, 2013) - I never realized how adorable a sloth could be and Cooke's book is filled with cute pictures and informative text.


Barbed Wire Baseball by Marissa Moss; Illustrated by Yuko Shimizu (Abrams, April 9, 2013)  - This one missed my baseball post, but definitely a worthy read.  Review to come on Wednesday.


The Mighty Lalouche by Michael Olshan (Schwartz & Wade; May 14, 2013) - I had seen this one around and was happy to finally read it. 

I started by haven't finished reading...


Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo; Illustrated by K.G. Campbell (Candlewick Press, September 24, 2013) - I love DiCamillo's work and this one is turning out to be such a great read.


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (St. Martin's Griffin; February 26,2012) - The YA pick in this pile is one that has come highly recommended.  So far so good...