Monday, February 10, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 2/10/14


It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers have adapted it to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

This past week was kind of busy, but I did get in a stack of picture book and a few other titles.  There are a couple that I will post on Wednesday for Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday and one I will post on Friday for Valentine's Day.    

Here is what jumped out of the pile...


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Random House, 2011) This one an ALEX Award a couple of years ago, and we read it this week for Book Club.  Interesting discussion.


When the Beat was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop by Laban Carrick Hill; Illustrated by Theodore Taylor III (Roaring Brook Press, 2013) - I was trying to catch up on a few of the books I missed out before ALA Youth Media Awards.  Finally, found and read When the Beat was Born.  Excellent job.  Really enjoyed this book.



Maria Had a Little Llama/María Tenía Una Llamita by Angela Dominguez (Henry Holt and Co., 2013) - Here was another book I missed out on before the Youth Media Awards.  I loved that it was already translated into English and Spanish.


Baby Bear by Kadir Nelson (Balzer & Bray, 2014) - It's Kadir Nelson.  Do I need to say more?



Look Up! Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard by Annette LeBlanc Cate (Candlewick, 2013) - And one more that I find that I missed out on. Definitely must be read over several sittings.


Time for Flowers, Time for Snow: The Re-telling of the Legend of Demeter and Persephone by Glen Huser; Illustrated by Phillippe Beha (Tradewind Books, 2013) - For fans of Greek Mythology, this is an interesting re-telling of Persephone and Hades, and Demeter.

 So, what are you reading?