Monday, April 7, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 4/7/14



It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers have adapted it to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

During March, while I was participating in the Slice of Life March Challenge, I was just not able to keep up with my Monday posts and the Challenge. I loved the March Challenge, but I am such a slow writer that it really made it hard to keep up with my reading time.  Since I was learning a lot about myself as a writer, I understood the need to temporarily suspend some reading.  However, I am back. This weekend, I read a huge stack of picture books and eager to get back to some novels.

Despite the stack of books I read recently, there were not as many that really stood out for me.  I have saved several of the nonfiction picture books for Wednesday. 

Here's what jumped out of the pile...


Firefly July and Other Very Short Poems - compiled by Paul B. Janeczko; Illustrated by Melissa Sweet (Candlewick Press, March 11, 2014) - A beautiful collection of short poems that are organized around the four seasons. I love Melissa Sweet's illustrations for this book.


Poem Depot: Aisles of Smiles by Douglas Florian (Dial, February 20, 2014) - Florian writes some wonderful poems for children, and he has done it again with this book. I really enjoyed each of these accessible, fun, and nonsensical poems.


Found by Salina Yoon (Walker Children's, April 1, 2014) - A sweet story that young children will relate to and celebrate.


Picture Day Perfection by Deborah Diesen; Illustrated by Dan Santat (Harry N. Abrams, September 3, 2013) - Ah, picture day! Definitely a few chuckles with this story. 


Stella's Starliner by Rosemary Wells (Candlewick Press, March 25, 2014) - A young girl lives in a trailer home with her family. She considers her home almost magical until some boys insult her. Wells handles the situation wonderfully.


The One-Eyed People Eater: The Story of Cyclops by Joan Holub; Illustrated by Dani Jones (Simon Spotlight, March 1, 2014) - I like the way Holub has created a series of easy readers around Greek Myths. Readers interested in Greek tales will enjoy these books.


Bad Bye, Good Bye by Deborah Underwood (HMH Books for Young Readers, April 1, 2014) - This story of a young boy moving to a new home will allow beginning readers to have success, as well as, provide others with a chance to work through the feelings of moving to a new home.

So, what are you reading?