Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday - What are you reading?


Thank you everyone for signing up for the Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge 2014.  It is going to be an amazing year of sharing nonfiction books with one another.
_______________________________________________

For the past 32 days, I participated in the Slice of Life March Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers. It was a fabulous experience but one that resulted in some of my other routines getting shifted around.  Since I missed a number of What are you reading? posts, I thought I would feature a special edition one that focuses on my nonfiction picture books.

Next week's post will include new releases for April and May.

Here is what I have been reading and enjoying lately...


The Animal Book by Steve Jenkins (HMH Books for Young Readers, October 2013) - Why did it take me so long to find this book and read it? I think this is one of Jenkins best yet.  If you can only buy one of his books, make it this one. Amazing!


How to Make a Planet: A Step-By-Step Guide to Building the Earth by Scott Forbes, Illustrated by Jean Camden (Kids Can Press, March 1, 2014) - There is a lot of fun packed into this slim volume. Humor, and facts and directions for building planet earth. I shared this with a bunch of teachers recently and they loved it too.


Creep and Flutter: The Secret World of Insects and Spiders by Jim Arnosky (Sterling Children's Books, April 2012) - I saw this book over on a post that The Nonfiction Detectives did and wondered why I hadn't read it?!  I quickly corrected that oversight and I love this one, especially the pull out pages.


On Kiki's Reef by Carol Malnor; Illustrated by Trina L. Hunner (Dawn Publication, March 1, 2014) - A narrative story on the life of a sea turtle from hatchling to adult. The illustrations are beautiful and I also enjoyed the facts throughout the book and the end notes and resources.


Aviary Wonders Inc., Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual by Kate Samworth (Clarion Books, March 4, 2014) - Okay, this is technically not nonfiction, but there is some good information in this one. Thanks Carrie Gelson for tipping me off to this book. I simply love it.


Feathers: Not Just for Flying by Melissa Stewart; Illustrated by Sarah S. Brannon (Charlesbridge, February 2014) - I am a huge Melissa Stewart fan and love the way she is writing and creating her books. Text and design work beautifully in this one.

As a result of some of these books, I now want to read:


Sea Turtle Scientist by Stephen R Swinburne (HMH Books for Young Readers, January 2014)


The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs by Sandra Markle (Millbrook Press, 2011)


The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees by Sandra Markle (Millbrook Press, 2013)

I know when I begin checking out all of your links there will be dozens more to read as well. Don't forget to link up so that we can see your reviews too.