Monday, January 2, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (6)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.
 
Each week I'll recap what I've read/reviewed the week before 
and then look ahead to what I am planning on reading/reviewing in the upcoming week. 

Last week's book adventures:
 
Last week I read around 150 books to meet my GoodReads Challenge goal.  And I am happy to say that I met it.  WooHoo!  I think I have now read nearly every Mo Willems' books (they are so funny).  I read 24 Caldecott Winners (books from the 1930's & 1940's are very different from today).  In that pile of 150, I also read all kinds of picture books, early readers, and early chapter books.  
 
But here are the standouts from the pile:
 
Spunky Tells All by Ann Cameron, Illustrated by Lauren Castillo - I actually gave this to my dad to read when I was finished. It was pretty funny in parts.  I plan to do a full review on this new 2012 release this week. 

Those Rebels, John & Tom by Barbara Kerley, Illustrated by Edwin Fotherinham - I have been waiting for this one to come out and it is finally here.  A humorous view of how John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson met and created the Declaration of Independence.  A bit tongue in cheek and with a lot of dramatic license, but I would guess that a lot of children will enjoy this presentation of history.
 

My Hands Sing the Blues by Jeanne Walker Harvey, Illustrated by Elizabeth Zunon - How I missed this 2011 release is beyond me, but thank you Mr. Hankins for helping me correct this oversight.  An amazing picture book about the life of Romare Bearden.  I plan on reviewing this one during the week as well.


The House that Witchy Built by Dianne de Las Casas, Illustrated by Holly Stone-Barker - Why didn't I see or read this one around Halloween?  A great use of the "House that Jack Built" pattern.  I had fun with this one and hope to share it with students next Halloween.
 
 
Zoom by Istvan Banyai - This one was another recommendation from Paul Hankins.  He read this to my students back in November, but I finally picked up my own copy this past week.  This is an amazing wordless picture book that can be used on a variety of levels to discuss perspective.  


Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman - I listened to this one on audiobook.  Katherine Kellgren narrates the story of Meggy Swann and brings the character to life, songs and all. I definitely recommend listening to this one.

Upcoming book adventures
I am starting on my new reading goal for 2012.  Check in next week to see what I decided to read.

So, what are you reading this week?
Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!