Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? Picture Books to YA (8)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.
Each week I'll recap what I've read/reviewed the week before 
and then look ahead to what I am planning on reading/reviewing in the upcoming week.
 
Last week's book adventures:
First week back to school and I still managed to do a pretty good job with my weekly reading.   

Here are some of my favorites from the week:

Early Reader -

Dodsworth in Rome by Tim Egan
This book is great! I love finding Early Readers that are enjoyable for both the child and the adult reading along.  I pulled copies of the series off the shelf and had my local bookseller read them.  I recommended them to lots of people this week.  This one is right up there with Frog & Toad and Mouse & Mole.  

Graphic Novels -

The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan by Maxwell Eaton
Random House has another winner on it's hands with The Flying Beaver Brothers.  This series will appeal to fans of Babymouse and The Lunch Lady.  I can't wait to book talk this book.  I expect that it will never stay in the library for longer than it takes to check it out again by the next child in line.

Young Adult -

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Cyborg Cinderella - Do I really need to say more?  Part fantasy, part dystopian, part sci-fi and all guilty pleasure.  Can't wait for the second book in the series. 


I was hoping to finish The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis this weekend, but I will certainly finish it today.  I am loving this one as well.


Newbery Challenge Update:
This week, I am finally going to start The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon.  I have promised myself that I only need to read a chapter at a time.  I will do some updates as I go.

 
Caldecott Challenge Update:
As of Sunday, I have read 39 Caldecott winning picture books.  This is just a little bit over half the books.  I am hoping to do a vlog on my progress and some of my favorites this week.  My favorite from this past week was Kitten's First Full Moon (2005 Winner) by Kevin Henkes.  My favorite older one from the week was The Big Snow (1949 Winner) by Berta and Elmer Hader.  Since I am requesting these from the library, I have been reading them out of order.  However, I have tried to read oldest to newest in the pile that I receive each time. 

Upcoming book adventures:
My goal this week is to continue to search for non-fiction books that have been recently released as well as read one Middle Grade Novel and one Young Adult novel.  Check in on Wednesday to for the non-fiction picture book version of What are you reading?


So, what are you reading this week? 

Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!