Monday, February 13, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (11)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Each week I'll recap what I've read/reviewed the week before 
and then look ahead to what I am planning on reading/reviewing in the upcoming week.

Last week's book adventures:
February has been a slow reading month.  As I started in on the Caldecott Honor Books, I found I needed a bit of a break.  Let's just say that picture books in the 1940's are nothing like picture books today.  Even though, I wasn't able to read a lot of books the ones that I read were wonderful. 
 
Here is what I read from the past week:

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
Maureen Johnson is best known for her contemporary fiction and humorous presence on twitter.  I was curious to see what she would do with a supernatural suspense that blends together an American teenager from New Orleans, an English Boarding School, and Jack the Ripper-like murders.  Johnson created an interesting premise and I am curious to see where book 2 takes us.
 


Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin
Eugene Yelchin garnered a Newbery Honor with his first Middle Grade book.  A fast read with complimentary illustrations that provides the reader with a glimpse at the life in the Soviet Union under the reign of Stalin.  

Hades by George O'Connor
The fourth installment in O'Connor's Olympians Series and once again he brings together various figures in Greek Mythology and gives readers a new glimpse into well-known stories.  This installment doesn't just focus on Hades but also on Persephone and Demeter.  Fascinating read.



A Boy Named FDR by Kathleen Krull; Illustrated by Steve Johnson, Lou Fancher
Kathleen Krull explores the early life of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and how early experiences shaped him into the president he would one day become.


Worst of Friends by Suzanne Jurmain; Illustrated by Larry Day
There appears to be an interest in Thomas Jefferson and John Adams lately.  This is the second one that has come out in the last few months about their friendship.  Jurmain continues through the years of their feud and eventual reconciliation.  A book to add to a collection of biographical stories on presidents and just in time for President's Day.

On Wednesday, I will be posting the nonfiction picture books I read this past week.  There were some fun ones in the pile.

Upcoming book adventures:
My goal this week - try to get back into a regular reading routine again and back on track with #Nerdcott (Caldecott Challenge).


Glory Be by Augusta Scattergood - I started this one but didn't quiet finish it over the weekend.


Fake Mustache by Tom Angelberger -  Thanks to a friend I have an Advanced Readers Copy of Angelberger's newest book.  I can't wait to dive into this one.

So, what are you reading this week? 

Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!