Monday, February 20, 2012

What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (12)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.
Each week I'll recap what I've read/reviewed the week before 
and then look ahead to what I am planning on reading/reviewing in the upcoming week.
Last week's book adventures:
This week's reading picked up, but I also started and stopped several books.  I'll come back to them but sometimes my mood points me to a different book than one I expected.  My quest to read all of the Caldecott Honor Books has resumed and I was able to get a few other books in.  To spare everyone a long list of books, I have selected my favorites to highlight.
 
Here are my favorites from the past week:


Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson - I listened to this one on audiobook and at times I wish I had an actual hard copy because I wanted to read it faster than the narrator was going.  Don't get me wrong, the narrator was good, but there were times I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next to Hattie and I knew I could read it faster.  Regardless or audiobook or print copy, Larson did an amazing job creating characters that you cared about and you wanted to know.  I felt like Hattie and all of her neighbors were real and I became so engrossed in their lives.  I was so excited to find out on twitter today that there will be a sequel.  Yay!


Listen to My Trumpet by Mo Willems - Elephant and Piggie are back.  That is reason enough to celebrate.  This time Piggie has a special surprise for Elephant.  I won't spoil it.  Fans of this series will love the newest book.


And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano, Illustrated by Erin Stead - There are times when I hold a book in my hands and read it and know that it will win an award or be on a bunch of end of the year lists.  This was wonderful in both text and illustrations.  Stead, who won a Caldecott for A Sick Day for Amos McGee, has another winner on her hands.  I loved this one.


Just Behave, Pablo Picasso by Jonah Winter, Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes - A biographical picture book about Pablo Picasso and his stubborn determination to paint what he wanted to paint despite people who criticized him.


When Blue Met Egg by Lindsay Ward - This one is just simply a make you smile & chuckle book. 

Future Release:

Squid and Octopus Friends for Always by Tao Nyeu - If you haven't heard of this book, put it on your summer TBR pile.  This is going to be a favorite.  I loved this book. Mouse & Mole, Frog & Toad, Elephant & Piggie and now Squid and Octopus. Not truly an early reader but this one will appeal to the audience who loves all those other great friendships. The story is fun but the little side notes are almost funnier. I can't wait to see the final version of this book but I know I will be recommending it.

Caldecott Challenge Books:
I read 13 Caldecott Honor Winners this week.  This was the only one that I gave higher than a 3 star (a few would have received negative stars if that was an option).


Nothing at All by Wanda Gag -  This 1942 Caldecott Honor Book actually reminds me of a children's picture book.  It is quirky and fun.  It even has a different type set.

Upcoming book adventures:
I actually have to start tackling more reading for an Award Committee that I am serving on.  I will probably be digging into that pile this week.  Not sure which books though...so you will have to wait and see.

So, what are you reading this week? 

Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!