Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (31)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

This week was a much stronger reading week. I went through a stack of 34 picture books.  Many have yet to be released and since there were so many good ones in there, I want to make sure I feature them as they get closer to their release dates.  Instead, I have listed below some of the other books I read this past week.   

Here are my favorites from my the past week's reading adventures:


Carmine: A Little More Red by Melissa Sweet - I really like Sweet's illustrations.  I enjoyed this twist on Little Red Riding Hood and the typical ABC book. 


Melvin Beederman Superhero: The Fake Cape Caper by Greg Trine; Illustrated by Rhode Montijo - This early chapter book is a fun spoof on super heroes.  I actually want to read the first one in the series to see how they all compare but 2nd and 3rd graders will find it this an enjoyable series.


Remembering Mrs. Rossi by Amy Hest; Illustrated by Heather Malone - A tender, touching story about a young girl and her father as they adjust to life without their mother/wife. 


Babymouse for President by Jennifer L. Holm and Matt Holm- The newest Babymouse is out and is simply fabulous.  Babymouse promises "a cupcake in every locker".  I'd vote for her.


Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead - There are many engaging books out there but some leave an emotion imprint on your life in a way that others never will.  Stead's latest book (release date 8/12) touched me and I would highly recommend it to others.


Obsidian by J.L. Armentrout - The new vampire are aliens.  Obsidian will appeal to fans of YA Paranormal Romance.   

So, what are you reading this week?
Here is what I am currently working on....


Letters to Leo by Amy Hest; Illustrated by Julia Denos - The follow up to Remembering Mrs. Rossi.


Small Medium At Large by Joanne Levy - I have heard such good things about this book and I simply love the title. 


Remarkable by Lizzie K. Foley - And another one that I have been meaning to read and excited to finally get to.

Love to hear what you are reading?