Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Monday! What are your reading? From Picture Books to YA (32)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

I was somewhat all over with my reading this week.  I read several picture books, early readers, some middle grade and some YA books.     

Here are a few notable books from my the past week's reading adventures:



Letters to Leo by Amy Hest; Illustrated by Julia Denos - This is the sequel/companion novel to Remembering Mrs. Rossi.  Annie is now in 4th grade and has gotten the dog she has always wanted.  The story is told through a series of letters which she addresses to her new pet. 



Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride - I feel like I have been waiting forever for the sequel to Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.  Sam and the gang are back.  Many second books (because there better well be a third book in this series) feel like filler as the reader waits for the 3rd and final book.  However, I truly felt that this one not only stood on it's own but was even stronger than the first one (and I loved the first one).  One of my favorite YA reads of the year so far.



Lies, Knives and Girls in Red Dresses by Ron Koertge; Illustrated by Andrea Dezso - This is one odd book.  Gruesome, dark, and at times bizarre, Koertge retells (in verse and poetry) some classic fairy tales like you have never heard them before. Definitely upper YA/adult. 



Frankenstein by Rick Walton; Illustrated by Nathan Hale - This parody of the book Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans is perfectly done.  I had to buy it when I found it at Mysterious Galaxy.  Can't wait to share it with students at Halloween.



Where's the Doctor? by Jamie Smart (click here for the review) - Definitely check out my review for this book.  This is a must have for Doctor Who fans that are also fans of kid lit. 

Don't forget to share what you are reading?!