Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (35)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

This was a slow week in terms of Caldecott Honor books (only managed to read 7 of them).   It was also a busy week and my total number of books for the week was only 28, but there were some excellent stand-outs in that list.

Here is my favorite Caldecott Honor Book from the past week's stack:


Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale by John Steptoe - This 1988 Caldecott Honor book is beautifully illustrated by Steptoe and has a Cinderella feel to it.

Here are some other books that I was reading this past week:


Black Heart by Holly Black - This was the last book in the Curse Workers Trilogy.  I am truly sad that this YA series is over.  There are few series that I actually read every book that comes out and this is one of those series that I looked forward to each book.  I won't say more because I plan on reviewing it this week. 


The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech - Thanks to Cynthia (@utalaniz on twitter), I had a chance to read this one before it's release date of 9/4/12.  This is a book that is beautifully written, has quirky characters, humor, mystery/adventure, makes you care what happens, and even has sad parts. Sharon Creech has done it again. If the Newbery committee overlooks this book I might cry.  Can't wait to share this book with kids this fall.


The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger - Do I really need to say anything about this book?  The third book (and hopefully not the last book) in the Origami Yoda series was released this week.  If you haven't picked it up, what are you waiting for?


Penny and Her Marble by Kevin Henkes - A friend shared the ARC for the third book in Henkes' Penny series.  I can't believe book 2 isn't quite out yet and I have already read book 3 which won't be released until March 2013.  I love this early reader series and each installment gets better and better. 


Even Aliens Need Snacks by Matthew McElligott - This picture book is quirky and funny.  You don't need to wait for Halloween to read it. 

So, what are you reading this week?