Monday, August 20, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (36)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

For the next several weeks, I expect my reading will be a little slower.  It always happens right around the start of the school year that my time for reading slows down, and with children returning this Wednesday to class, I have already noticed the slow down.  I am excited to see what the new school year will bring.

For some additional new books, check out this week's Hot Off the Press! post here.  I have also held off on a few books so that I can add them to my Wednesday Nonfiction Picture Book post. 


Here is my favorite Caldecott Honor Book from the past week:



Ben's Trumpet by Rachel Isadora - You can feel the jazz in both the text and illustrations.  I really enjoyed this one.  It may be one of my favorite's by Isadora.


Here are some other books that I was reading this past week:


The Library by Sarah Stewart; Illustrated by David Small - I don't remember which Nerdy Book Club member recommended this one, but I felt like I was reading about me.  Just loved this.


Everything Goes: Henry Goes Skating by Brian Biggs - This early reader has the feel of Biggs' Everything Goes book but the text of an early reader.  I need to check out the others in this series.


Binky Under Pressure by Ashley Spires - If you haven't read the earlier Binky graphic novels, go do so.  Once you have caught up, then try this one.  I think this is my favorite Binky book yet. 


Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians #5) by George O'Connor - If you don't know about O'Connor's amazing graphic novel series, you must find them and read them all.  Poseidon comes out in March 2013.  I checked out the ARC from NetGalley.  This one is written from Poseidon's POV which makes it a bit different from the others but still wonderful.


Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage - I elected to listen to this one.  I will be reviewing it on Tuesday so I will hold off on saying anything at the moment. 


Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson - A bookseller friend knew how much I loved Hattie Big Sky and when this Advanced Reader's Copy came in she put it aside for me. I loved it!  If you loved Hattie Big Sky, then you will be excited to see where Hattie goes next.  I don't want to review it now since it won't be out until 2013, but you will want it.

So what are you reading this week?