Sunday, September 8, 2013

Online Social Studies Resources for Elementary School Teachers

One of the things that I have observed in teachers is how some educators are very closely connected with their TE's (Teacher Editions) and student textbooks, and others like the freedom to create and explore and develop their own lessons.  Regardless of which style you embrace, there are multiple resources available for free online which allow you to incorporate primary source information and media to any lesson.

In my pursuit to find these resources, I turned to my online PLN.  Thank you to Cindy Minnich, Cynthia Alaniz, Donalyn Miller, Margie Myers, Shawn Weisser, and Susan Dee for your contributions to this list. 

Here are several resources that I have uncovered and I have included the websites below.  I am planning on sharing these with teachers this week. 



AASL’s 2013 Best Websites for Teaching and Learning

Avalon Project

iCivics

Edutopia


Fordham University

Kidsites.com – History (listing of multiple sites to explore)


Library of Congress: Teaching with Primary Sources

Life Photo Archive

National Archives Teachers’ Resources

National Geographic Kids

PBS Learning Media


Smithsonian’s History Explorer

Spartacus Educational

TED Talks (variety of topics)

Time for Kids

Thinkfinity Resources

Wonderopolis

YouTube EDU