Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Slice of Life - Summer Goals

Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  Join us each week and come to love this awesome writing community.
____________________________________

Summer goals are different than New Year's Resolutions.  First, I don't think I ever manage to maintain any of my New Year's Resolutions.  However, with summer goals, I usually do a pretty decent job completing them. 

Some of these goals or activties are things that I look forward to doing each year because the schedule in the summer is so different. Other items are things that I want to learn but have difficulty making time for during the school year.  All of them provide a sense of structure for my summer.  

This summer, I am looking forward to the following things...

1.  #Bookaday Challenge - This will be my fourth year participating in Donalyn Miller's #bookaday challenge.  I have met so many amazing teachers and librarians who have become a significant part of my tribe through this challenge.  They have all made me a better educator and thinker.

2.  Presentations, Conferences, and Trainings - From June to July, I will be doing a couple of presentations, attending the American Library Association Annual Conference, and also a training on Project-Based Learning.

3. Teachers Write! - Kate Messner, Jen Vincent, and Gae Polisner started this as a virtual writing camp a few years ago.  I have always been a bit afraid to participate, but after doing this year's March Slice Challenge, I think I am ready.  I may have to keep saying this to myself so I won't lose courage, but it's my goal for now.

4.  Mock-Newbery Club - One of my favorite Indie Bookstores is Once Upon a Time in Montrose.  I will be helping out one of the staff lead a Mock-Newbery Club with students ages 9 to 12.  I have been working on a list of books to share with them and we have some special surprises.

5.  Reading & Writing Project - Based on all of my recent work, particularly with first graders, I will be planning for a series of workshops and trainings that I will be leading.  Additionally, I want to set up a space on our District's website for providing resources for the teachers that I am working with.  I have wanted to do this during the school year but unfortunately, kept running out of time.  Additionally, I would like to play with some apps that might benefit teachers as they work on reading comprehension and writing with students.

Finally, on the personal end of things...I have two simple goals...to get back into a regular exercise routine, and tackle a few household organization projects.

With summer vacation nearly upon us, I would love to hear what others are planning on doing?