Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bookstore Touring in Connecticut, Part 2 - The Hickory Stick Bookshop

My original plans for today include a train ride from Connecticut to New York to visit Books of Wonder and to stop by Bergen Street Comics for George O'Connor's book release party.  Let's just say 100+ degree heat and humidity and some other issues cropped up causing a change in plans.  As a consolation trip, my sister and aunt agreed to travel around northwest Connecticut searching for independent bookstores with me.  We managed to make it to three shops in one afternoon.


Our first stop was in Washington Depot, CT.  Yep, never heard of it before either and I grew up in Connecticut.  However, if you are coming through the Connecticut/New York area you might want to get to know The Hickory Stick Bookshop.  It is probably my favorite of the three stores that I stopped in today.  And author friends - I understand that they have quite a number of book signings.  I know I will certainly be recommending this off-the-beaten-track hidden jewel to everyone I know.

This place was a great find.  Friendly staff and a well stocked children's section were noticeable from the beginning.  There was even a shelf with autographed books including a whole collection of books by Wendell Minor and several by Lane Smith.
It's A Book signed by Lane Smith
I also found Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter already out in the wild.  I was so excited that I had to pick up a copy right then and there.
apologies for the poor lighting


After visiting with the store, my sister and aunt and I headed over to The Pantry for lunch.  This was not your typical New England restaurant or menu.  Aside from a full range of gourmet packaged foods available for sale, there were creative entrees and sandwiches on the menu along with some fabulous desserts.  I tried the Apricot Chicken Almond Salad Wrap which was quite delish.



On our way out, I noticed this great sign for an after school art program right next to the bookstore.


If you are in the area and looking for a somewhat cooler place to spend some time and love books and food, I would suggest placing The Hickory Stick Bookshop on your places to visit list.