Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bookstore Touring in Connecticut, Part 3

After my original plans for Saturday (July 23rd) changed, I decided to go bookstore hunting in Western Connecticut.   With my sister and aunt as travel partners, we took the scenic route as we found various bookstores listed on the New England Independent Booksellers Association website.   Stops 2 & 3 found us in Kent, CT at the House of Books and Ridgefield, CT at Books on the Common.  Both have a definite  quintessential New England charm and are set in these picture perfect little towns.

House of Books, Kent, CT -

Any bookstore that is located next to a coffee shop/chocolate store definitely makes may list.  When we arrived at House of Books, there was jazz music playing down the alley on one side and the aroma of chocolate wafting from the other side.  The store was apparently once a house and there are various rooms filled with books, games, office supplies, and art supplies.  In the back, there were a couple of rooms designated for children's books.  I found some of my favorite picture books on display.

 His Shoes Were Far Too Tight: Poems of Edward Leer
Little Chicken's Big Day by Jerry & Katie Davis
Punk Farm by Jarrett Krosoczka


As we headed back home, we figured we had just enough time to swing by Books on the Commons in Ridgefield, CT.  This charming store sits on the corner of the main common area of Ridgefield.  If I tried to explain a "commons" to Californians, I am not sure they would know what I mean.  However, practically every little New England town has a main street and a commons.  This definitely added to the charm of this store along with the hardwood floors. 


I really like stores with big comfy chairs.  But I sat on a stool to look through books.  Better to 
avoid the temptation to stay forever.  


I found some friends at the store too!!!

Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger
Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter
And lots and lots of YA friends


In driving back home, our GPS decided to take us on the scenic route (I think we found every unused back road possible).  I had forgotten just how gorgeous the back roads, wooded area, and hills of Connecticut can be.  Maybe it is true - "you can take the girl out of New England, but you can't take New England out of the girl".  Definitely fun to be reminded of how fond I am of this part of the world.