Friday, December 30, 2011

End of the Year: Favorite Picture Books Part II - My Top 10

Yesterday, I posted 15 picture books that were special to me.  Standouts in many ways.  Today, I take it one step further.  Out of all the picture books I read, here are my top ten.



#10 Blackout by John Rocco - I fell in love with the book trailer, the illustrations and the story. This had it all for me.  


#9 Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins, Illustrated by Vicky White - Incredible illustrations paired with facts about endangered animals.  A must have book for any library collection.


#8 Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku by Lee Wardlaw, Illustrated by Eugene Yelchin - I am not a big fan of poetry of any kind.  But I am growing in my appreciation the more that I read.  When a book of haiku sticks with me for the whole year, it deserves to be on my top 10 list.


#7 Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans by Kadir Nelson - Anyone who knows me knows that I love Kadir Nelson's work.  This is a beautiful story of history and people.  And the audiobook is a must listen.


#6 Perfect Square by Michael Hall - Some books are simple but incredibly executed.  A square of paper is transformed over the course of the week.  Filled with great concepts and a favorite of young students at my school.


#5 Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet - Illustrations and text that work together to tell the story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade.  A non-fiction picture book at it's best.  This one has affected so many and needs to be shared.



#4 Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell - Combination of beautiful illustrations and solid text that simply tells the story of the life of Jane Goodall for young children. This one is a winner for me.


#3  Little Chicken's Big Day by Jerry Davis, Illustrated by Katie Davis - I fell in love with the book trailer and then the book.  I want to give this book to every parent with a toddler.  I wonder if I can talk Katie Davis into a print of Little Chicken fussing in his car seat.  "I hear you cluckin' Big Chicken.." will bring a smile to my face every time.


#2 Wonderstruck by Brian Selznik - Brilliant.  Truly one of the most amazing books that I have read this year.  One character's story is told in pictures and the other one in words.  Let me say it again "brilliant". 

#1 Stars by Mary Lyn Ray, Illustrated by Marla Frazee - Last year, I picked up CHALK by Bill Thomson and it was really my book.  The one that touched me more than all others.  This year when I opened up STARS, I knew without a doubt that I had found my picture book of 2011.

So what picture book touched you this year?


*Thank you Alethea (@frootjoos) for the picture book image at the top.