Monday, May 21, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (24)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Work has remained steadily busy this past week, as well as an emotional one.  At the end of the week, the school I work at was informed that one of our students had passed away.  It was and continues to be an emotional time for staff and students.  As I searched for books about death and grief, I realize that there are few picture books dealing with the death of a child or friend.  Sure there are many that deal with the loss of a grandparent or a pet, or even a parent, but not so much an actual classmate.  I can tink of several Middle Grade novels (so many seem to deal with death and grief), but finding just the right picture books has been a challenge.  If you have a book recommendation for this topic, please leave it in the comment section.

Here are some of my favorites reads from this past week:

Mole Had Everything by Jamison Odone

Here is the book trailer:


43 Old Cemetery Road: The Phantom of the Post Office by Kate Klise; Illustrated by M. Sarah Klise - I am a big fan of this series and in the latest installment, Klise creates readable mystery and also manages pokes fun at technology and communicating via text or email.


Keesha's House by Helen Frost - Recently, I discovered Hidden by Frost and decided to try her Printz Honor book Keesha's House.  Frost is a master at telling a story through poetic verse and from various points of view.  If you haven't read any of her books, I would highly encourage you to give one of them a try.



So what are you reading?

I am going to finish reading City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare which I started.  And anything else will be a bonus.  What is in your TBR pile for the week?