Monday, April 15, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 4/15/13

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

I read through a stack of picture books this week and re-read a few that are finally out in the wild that I may have mentioned before and I am going to mention again because they really are just that good.

New reads and new favorites:


The Black Rabbit by Philippa Leathers (Candlewick, January 22, 2013) - A fun read about a rabbit, a wolf, and a surprising hero.  I enjoyed this a lot.


Tea Rex by Molly Idle (Viking Juvenile, April 9, 2013) - Click on the title of this one to check out my post about having Tea with Molly Idle.

Re-reads (first read was as an F&G) and finally available for purchase:


Bluebird by Bob Staake (Random House, April 9, 2013) - OMG! I LOVE THIS BOOK!  It is going on my early Mock-Caldecott list.


Snippet the Early Riser by Bethanie Murguia (Random House, March 12, 2013) - I just love anything that Murguia does. 


Have You Seen My New Blue Socks? by Eve Bunting; Illustrated by Sergio Ruzzier (Clarion, March 5, 2013) - I had the unique opportunity this weekend to hang out with Eve Bunting - okay, I had to share her for part of the time, but I did drive her back and forth from a meeting - I am always in "awe" when I see her.  During our book group, Eve read her new book to us.  Maybe a 2014 Geisel award for this one?


The Dark by Lemony Snicket; Illustrated by Jon Klassen (Little, Brown Books for Young Children, April 2, 2013) - What a pairing of talent and what a book!

For my monthly book club meeting, we read...


Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor  (Viking Childrens, 2011) - A fantasy story set in West Africa.  Though the characters in the story are approximately 12 years old, the content is a bit mature.  I would recommend this for teens.