Monday, April 8, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA - 4/8/13

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

I read through a stack of picture books this week.  I am still looking for some exceptional picture books.  Lately, there have been some fun ones, but not many that I want to take home with me.  I have listed a few that are definitely worth checking out.

I, also, enjoyed reading Donalyn Miller's Nerdy Book Club post from 4/7/13.  I realize that I have been feeling guilty about reading books or other material that are not children's books.  Lately, I have been exploring a variety of reading material such as that stack of magazines that I have been meaning to tackle.  There are also three boxes of Leveled Literacy Intervention Materials that I have been working my way through.  My sister has been looking for some romance books and somehow I have been on a search for books to recommend to her which has taken me into a whole realm of books that I don't normally read.  I have finally started an adult paranormal/urban fantasy series (J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) that some of my friends were reading. I am just having fun reading something totally different and completely escapism.  Am I reading? Most certainly.  I probably read over 1000 pages this week. However, if you only see picture books and a few early chapter books below, then you'll understand why.

Here is what stood out from the stack this week...


The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses by Lisa Wheeler; Illustrated by Zachariah O'Hora (Atheneum Books for Young Readers, April 2, 2103) - This is a fun one for National Poetry Month.  I never quite expected the ending, but it was entertaining.


The Boy and the Airplane by Mark Pett (Simon & Schuster, April 2, 2013) - This wordless picture book was strange in a good way.  If you find it, definitely take a look at it.


The Three Triceratops Tuff by Stephen Shaskan (Beach Lane Books, April 2, 2013) - This play on The Three Billy Goats Gruff will entertain young readers. 


Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever - Or Snack Time? by Tammi Sauer; Illustrated by Michael Slack (Harcourt Children's, April 2, 2013) - This concept has been done before but I enjoyed how Sauer pulls this one off. 


Mouse Guard: The Black Axe by David Petersen (Archaia Entertainment, April 9, 2013) - If you haven't read any of the previous Mouse Guard graphic novels by David Petersen, you must especially if you have read any of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques.  The illustrations in this series are fabulous. 


Starring Jules (As Herself) by Beth Levine Ain; Illustrated by Anne Keenan Higgins (Scholastic, March 1, 2013) - An entertaining and humorous read for 2nd to 4th graders, particularly girls.

So, what are you reading?