Monday, March 12, 2012

What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (15)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.
 
Each week I'll recap what I've read/reviewed the week before 
and then look ahead to what I am planning on reading/reviewing in the upcoming week.
 
Last week's book adventures:
Have you ever had a week where you read a lot but very few of the books stand out?  This is how I would characterize my reading week.  However, there were a few that really stood out for me. 
 
Here are my favorites from the past week:

Lester Fizz, Bubble Gum Artist by Ruth Spiro
I had been looking for this book for awhile and excited when I actually found it.  The story was a bit different than I expected but I really enjoyed the book and all the great references to artists and classic art.  


Mega Mash Up: Robots Vs. Gorillas in the Desert by Nikalas Catlow
This is not necessarily a book you would put in your library, but as a gift to a child - excellent choice.  Children are encouraged to write directly into the book; add text and illustrations.  


Marty McGuire Digs Worms by Kate Messner; Illustrated by Brian Floca
I love Marty and this time she is out to Save the Planet - by composting.  I'll be working on a review.  This is a definite favorite for the week.


City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
I started this on audiobook back in April and wasn't enjoying it.  I also think I had mixed feelings about the series moving beyond what I thought was a well wrapped up trilogy that now was turning into a six book series.  So I gave it some space.  I needed to get back into the right mindset to read it.  I think after finishing Clockwork Prince last week I was sufficiently back into the Shadowhunter world.  I will be looking forward to City of Lost Souls when it comes out in May.    

Caldecott Challenge Update:

I am going to be so excited when I have moved beyond the 1940's.  These have not been my favorite books, but I am plugging away slowly. 


Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling Clancy Holling


The Christmas Anna Angel by Ruth Sawyer; Illustrated by Kate Serdy

Nonfiction Picture Books:
Remember - Nonfiction Picture Book reviews will be posted on Wednesday (and maybe some other days as well since I am starting to have too many books to post on just one day). 

So, what are you reading this week? 

Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!