Monday, April 9, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (19)


It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.  Jen & Kellee from 
Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.
 
Last week's book adventures:
During Spring Break, I had an awesome book week.  Not only did I get 13 blog post completed (including 7 book reviews), but I was able to read 67 (from March 31st to April 8th).  Here is the break down:

36 Picture Books (including some that were nonfiction)
17 Early Readers
2   Early Chapter Books
4   Poetry Books
2   MG Novels
1   YA Novels
5   Graphic Novels

I did start about 6 more books but for whatever reason they didn't hold my interest.  Most I will come back to, but sometimes I just need a little time.

Favorite Picture Book of the week:

I actually had lots of favorite picture books this week.  Check out my Hot Off the Press post for three other picture books.  The Story of Salt by Mark Kurlansky is a picture book version of Salt: The World History (for adults) also by Mark Kurlansky.  I was amazed by how much I learned from this book.   


Favorite Early Reader of the week:

Sadie and Ratz by Sonya Hartnett has a winner on her hands with her early reader/chapter book.  Hannah has named her hands Sadie and Ratz and they can be a bit mischievous.  However, when her little brother starts blaming Sadie and Ratz for his wrong-doings something has to change.  Hartnett brilliantly captures the voice of Hannah and her little brother. 



Favorite Poetry Book of the week:

I read a number of poetry books this week.  Check out my review of Nasty Bugs by Lee Bennett Hopkins.  A completely different book of poetry is Requiem by Paul B. Janeczko.  This is a haunting book of poems reminding us of the lives of the men, women, and children who suffered in concentration camps during the Holocaust.
   

Favorite Middle Grade Novels of the week:

There were two standouts from this week for completely different reasons.  Helen Frost's novel in verse, Hidden, is a powerful story about how two girls lives intersected at two different times in their lives.  A must read.  

Of course, fans of Tom Angleberger should not miss his newest novel - Fake Mustache.  Lots of humor, adventure, and a need to suspend reality but readers won't mind since they will be having so much fun reading this one. 


Favorite YA of the week:

If you are looking for a completely mindless, fun read, Scott Speer's debut novel, Immortal City will fit the need.  Fans of angel stories and paranormal romance will love this. 
 

Favorite Graphic Novel of the week:

I read several graphic novels this week and though all were fun. However, I believe Jarrett J. Krosoczka's Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes was my favorite of all.  I wish I had this one prior to our Math Field Day competition.


Two that I started and am still reading:

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (release date June 2012) - This debut novel is getting early praise from bloggers.  I found myself in possession of an ARC and started to read it and am already hooked. 



Barbara Wright's middle grade historical fiction, Crow, is getting high praise from teachers and librarians.  The story follows the life of Moses Thomas and the events leading up to the Wilmington Massacre of 1898.  I am about halfway through with this one and finding myself quite caught up in this one. 



So, what are you reading this week? 

The first week back from any break is always crazy.  I will be happy to squeeze in a middle grade novel and a YA novel.  What are your reading plans for the week? Please share! And remember to check in at Sheila's or Jen & Kellee's blog to see what they and others are reading!