Monday, April 30, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (22)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Last week's book adventures:
Though I read several stacks of picture books this past week, I didn't feel that much jumped out at me.  You can check out my Hot Off the Press post for some new picture books that I read or re-read this week.

Three Book Highlights from the Week:


Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Cardboard Box by Murray Shaw (adapter) - This is an adapted version of Sherlock Holmes in graphic novel format.  I need to see what my students think of this one. 


The Legend of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke - I was so excited to be able to read an e-galley of this one.  I loved the first Zita the Spacegirl book and I am glad that she is back.  Now of course, I will have to wait forever until the next one.


With or Without You by Brain Farrey - This one is a Stonewall Award Honor Book of 2012.  I read it for our book club meeting.  I can see why it was selected as one of the Stonewall winners.  I was pretty surprised at how quickly I became invested in this book.  Farrey did a great job of making the main character, Evan, someone that you care about.  I ended up truly caring about what happened to Evan and his (really hot) boyfriend, Erik.  There was a part of me that couldn't put the book down and a part of me that wanted to so I wouldn't have to find out what kind of "train wreck" (completely figuratively speaking - there are no train wrecks in this book) was going to happen to Evan.  I won't spoil the ending but if you haven't read any of the Stonewall winners, you could certainly start with this one. 

So, what are you reading this week?

Here is what is sitting in my currently-reading pile:
 

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - I picked up a e-galley of this one and after the first 25 pages which had me a bit confused I seem to finally be settling into this one.  I am only about 55 pages in so I still have a lot to go.

Crow by Barbara Wright - I am also at about page 50 with this one.  I am very interested to finish reading it since I have heard so many great things about it.


Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi - I started this on audiobook and had to switch to a book format since the narrator wasn't working for me.
 

Audiobook: Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century #1) by Cherie Priest - This is a long audiobook and I am about halfway through.  I am actually enjoying it but just haven't had any extended time to listen. If you are fans of steampunk and zombies, you might want to check this one out.

I have promised myself that I can't start anything else until I finish at least 2 of these books. The good news about this pile is that I like every one of these books so far.  The bad news - there has been so little time to get lost in reading so I end up going to books I can read in a shorter time span or ones that I have to read.

Wish me luck and I hope you have a wonderful book week.