Monday, April 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (20)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Last week's book adventures:
The first week back from spring break was a busy one and didn't leave me with as much time to read as I would have liked but I did manage to squeeze in a stack of picture books and some novels in verse. 

Favorite Books from the Week:


Back A-B-See by Maria van Lieshout - A fun A, B, C book using familiar road signs.


I Don't Want to Be a Pea! by Ann Bonwill - A book about friendship and compromise that made me laugh out loud.


Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World by Laurie Lawlor - A biography on Rachel Carson for younger students.  A good introduction to Carson's life & work.


Squish #3: The Power of the Parasite by Jenni and Matt Holm - Book 3 comes out in May and I had a chance to see an advanced copy.  I love Squish.  Matt and Jenni must have so much fun writing him.


The Wild Book by Margarita Engle - This novel in verse is beautifully written about a young girl in Cuba at the beginning of the 20th century. 


The Watch That Ends the Night by Allan Wolf  - This novel in verse looks at the story of the Titanic from the perspective of 20 different passengers (including the Ship's rat).  The endnotes were particularly fascinating. 


Check out my review of Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman.  Also, last week's Nonfiction Wednesday post had some fun mini-reviews of books I read last week. 

So, what are you reading this week?

Last week wasn't bad for the first week back from break.  Not sure what I will be reading this week.