Monday, April 23, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (21)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

Last week's book adventures:
I had one of those weeks were I am not certain where the week went and why I didn't have a chance to read a lot but there you have it - only 15 books (11 picture books, 2 early readers, 1 early chapter book, and 1 other).  And though I was surrounded by books and book people and book related activities at the LA Times Festival of Books this weekend, I never did get a chance to read.

Book Highlights from the Week:

The Obstinate Pen by Frank W. Dormer - This one was fun.  A pen that writes what it wants to write rather than what you want it to write. 


Wumbers by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld - More to come on this one.  I will be posting a review this week.


Players in Pigtails by Shana Corey, Illustrated by Rebecca Gibbon - I wish I had read this one before Wednesday.  I would have added this to my baseball themed Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday.  Fun learning a little bit about Women's baseball in the late 1940's.




Neo Leo & Now and Ben by Gene Barretta - This series is very informative and well done.  One on Thomas Edison is coming this summer or fall.  I learned a lot reading both of these books.  I think 2nd graders on up will enjoy them.


Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth by Jane O'Connor - Fancy Nancy is growing up and has become a detective.  For fans of the picture books, who are now ready for an early chapter book featuring their favorite character.


F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders by Richard Benson - Not a kids book, but High School students and adults will enjoy this quick read of answers that people used on tests.


So, what are you reading this week?

 I am so hoping for a better reading week.  Wish me luck!