Thursday, December 27, 2012

Favorite Picture Books of 2012



It is that time of year.  Time to decide which books made the top of my list.  I have poured over my GoodReads picture book shelf. I have debated over books that were on my earlier lists.  And I finally narrowed it down to 12 top picture books for 2012.  Some of my previous choices made the final cut but I still love those early favorites too.  

Here are my choices for 2012 in no particular order.  Will one of them receive a shiny sticker to adorn the cover of the book? Maybe.  Maybe not! I really selected each of them because I just really liked them. Enjoy!  


Laundry Day by Maurie J. Manning (Clarion Books) - Thanks Nerdy Book Club for putting this one on my radar.  I really love the illustrations and sense of adventure in this one.




Oliver by Birgitta Sif (Candlewick Press) - Quirky, sweet, and just a special book and one that I felt never received the attention that it should have.


Squid and Octopus: Friends Forever by Tao Nyeu (Penguin) - Well, you know my undying love for this book.  I have been talking about this one from the beginning of the year before it even came out.





Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger (Roaring Brook Press) - What a beautifully constructed concept book.  Every page is perfect.



When Blue Met Egg by Lindsay Ward (Penguin) - The cut-paper art in this one is phenomenal.  And the story is sweet and wonderful.





Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead; Illustrated by Erin E. Stead (Roaring Brook Press) - I'm partial to bears and I am partial to the work of husband and wife team Philip and Erin Stead.  Charming, quiet, and wonderful!



I'm Bored by Michael Ian Black; Illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi (Simon & Schuster) - This one makes me laugh again and again.  And the illustrations knock it out of the park for me.

 




Hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell (Hyperion) - A message that we all need to be reminded of. 




And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano; Illustrated by Erin E. Stead (Roaring Brook Press) - You already know my love of Erin Stead's work and this one is beautifully illustrated.




Bot and Boy by Ame Dyckman; Illustrated by Dan Yaccarino (Knopf Books) - One of my favorite stories of friendship.




Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon (Walker Children's) - And another special story of friendship that I had to include in this list.

What were your favorite picture books in 2012?