Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA (48)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. Jen & Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts have adapted this to focus on Picture Books to Young Adult Books.

I must confess that some of my reading this past week was moved towards quantity vs. quality as I work towards my GoodReads goal of 1250 books.  I have fifteen more days and 100 books.  Technically I know I can do it, but there are also several books I want to get to that will take longer.  Hopefully, on my trip to Connecticut to see my parents for the holidays, I will be able to pick up a few stacks of Caldecott Honor books and get some more books read towards both my Caldecott goal, as well as my total books read.

I have also been sorting through and skimming a stack of books related to Fred Korematsu Day (January 30th).  I was asked to plan some activities for schools to use to celebrate and recognize the Civil Rights work that Mr. Korematsu did on behalf of the Japanese Americans who were sent to Internment Camps in the United States during World War II.

Finally, I am still reading the last couple of books towards the Nerdy Book Awards (voting opened yesterday).  

Here is what jumped out this week...


What's Looking at You, Kid? by J. Patrick Lewis; Illustrated by Renée Graef - This picture book in verse is playful and fun and makes for a wonderful read aloud for preschoolers.


Everything Goes Board Books by Brian Biggs - I linked to my review of several of Biggs' books.


More Bears by Kenn Nesbitt; Illustrated by Troy Cummings - Someone had mentioned this book when I was reading and talking about No Bears.  The two books pair together nicely.


Skeletons by Lily Wood - This nonfiction early reader about skeletons is informative and enjoyable.


The Bracelet by Yoshiko Uchida; Illustrated by Joanna Yardley - A young girl is given a bracelet by a friend before leaving for an internment camp.  She learns that she may not need to have the bracelet in order to remember the friendship.


So Far From the Sea by Eve Bunting; Illustrated by Chris K. Soentpiet - A way of looking back and honoring those who were interned during World War II in the United States.

And the big highlight of the week....


The Center of Everything by Linda Urban (Release date: March 15, 2013)- Urban has done it again...she is queen of writing wonderful characters. 

So, what are you reading?