Monday, December 31, 2012

Favorite Young Adult Novels of 2012


As with my previous End of the Year posts, I have limited books to those released in 2012.  This created a bit of a dilemma for me.  I read probably more YA in 2012 than in 2011, but some of it was published in years prior to 2012 or were Advanced Reader copies for books coming out in 2013.  So, I have chosen to limit my list to my top 6 favorites, and one I wished I had read.





Every Day by David Levithan (Knopf Books) -In the hands of a lesser writer, the concept of this book would have failed.  "A" wakes each day in a different body and a different place.  As I read this one, I kept being amazed by the insight on life and relationships that Levithan artfully wove into this novel.


Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride (Henry Holt) - This is the sequel to Hold Me Closer Necromancer and I loved it.  Read my interview with Sam here.


Black Heart (Curse Workers #3) by Holly Black (Margaret K. McElderry ) - I thought that Black Heart was one of the best final books in a trilogy.   If you haven't read the Curse Worker series, you can start with White Cat and read straight through.





Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Hyperion) - A smart, well-written story about two young women during WWII.  This one may take a bit to get into but hang in there.  You may want tissues at the end.





Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Henry Holt and Co.) - High fantasy, magic, adventure, and more.





Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Feiwel & Friends) - Cyborg Cinderella? How can you not be drawn to a concept like that? A bit science fiction, a bit dystopian, and a definite fairy tale re-telling.

And the one book I wish I had read in 2012...





The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (Penguin)

So, what were your favorite YA books in 2012?