Sunday, December 29, 2013

Favorite Middle Grade Novels of 2013


Recently, I started my count down to the new year by listing my favorite books from this year.  Today, I am sharing my favorite middle grade novels.   However, this list was probably my hardest one to create.  Some books that I loved this year, I will not be able to share with you until after January 28, 2014.  Others, I never had a chance to read because of the classes I took this year, which really cut into my reading time. So, today I am sharing just a few of the ones that I loved but I do encourage you to check the posts of others in order to not miss any of the amazing stories that were written this year. 

Earlier Posts:
Favorite Picture Books of 2013 Post
Favorite Graphic Novels of 2013 Post

In no particular order, here are few of my favorites of 2013...


Doll Bones by Holly Black (Margaret K. McElderry, May 7, 2013)


The Wig in the Window by Kristen Kittscher (HarperCollins, June 18, 2013) - Click here to check out the book trailer.


From Norvelt to Nowhere by Jack Gantos (Farrar, Strauss and Giroux, September 24, 2013)


Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins,  September 17, 2013) - Click here to check out the book trailer for the book.


Every Day After by Laura Golden (Random House, June 11, 2013)


Better Nate Than Ever by Tim Federle (Simon & Schuster, February  5, 2013) - Click here to listen to author, Tim Federle talk about the book.


Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo; Illustrated by K. G. Campbell (Candlewick Press, September 24, 2013) - Click here to watch the book trailer.


The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel by Deborah Hopkinson (Random House,  September 10, 2013)


Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Random House, June 25, 2013)

And yes, I do know that this one below isn't a fiction novel, but since I did not read enough longer middle grade nonfiction to do a separate post, I decided to squeeze this one in here. It is too good to miss. 


Courage Has No Color: The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Stone (Candlewick Press, January 22, 2013) - Click here to see a short video about the book.

So, what where your favorite Middle Grade Novels in 2013?