Friday, December 27, 2013

Favorite Picture Books of 2013


It's that time of year!  Now is the time to look through my list of books read throughout the year and pick my favorites.  I love remembering what I was thinking and feeling at the time of reading those books.  There is something special about deciding on which ones will find a place on this special list. 

Below are my top 13 for 2013. There were so many more that I wanted to add to the list but I decided to limit my list.  Also, I haven't listed the books in any special order.   And, though I would love to see some of them end up with shiny stickers at the end of January, this is really the list of books that  resonate with me after a year of reading.


Bluebird by Bob Staake (Schwartz & Wade, April 9, 2013) - Click here to view book trailer.


Journey by Aaron Becker (Candlewick, August 6, 2013) - Click here to view book trailer.


Fossil by Bill Thomson (Two Lions, November 5, 2013) - Click here to view book trailer.


Little Red Writing by Joan Holub; Illustrated by Melissa Sweet (Chronicle Books, September 24, 2013)


The Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman (Viking Juvenile, June 13, 2013)


Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, September 3, 2013) - Click here to view book trailer.


The Mighty LaLouche by Matthew Olshan; Illustrated by Sophie Blackall (Schwartz & Wade, May 14, 2013)


The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywelt; Illustrated by Oliver Jeffers (Philomel, June 27, 2013)



Mysterious Traveller by Mal Peet, Elspeth Graham; Illustrated by P.J. Lynch (Candlewick Press, October 8, 2013)


No Fits, Nilson by Zachariah Ohora (Dial, June 13, 2013)


Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle (Chronicle Books, February 5, 2013) - Click here to view book trailer.


Deep in the Sahara by Kelly Cunnane; Illustrated by Hoda Hadadi (Schwartz & Wade, October 8, 2013)


One Gorilla: A Counting Book by Anthony Browne (Candlewick Press, February 12, 2013)

What picture books would end up on your list?