Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving - Day 16 (a morning late)

I have been doing my Thanksgiving posts at night.  Well last night, I was so tired I couldn't even finish the last 30 minutes on an audiobook.  So, I am doing last night's post this morning.

Yesterday, I was thankful for a number of things...

...for my presentation, at the Association of Mexican American Educators Conference, which went well.  It was a great trial run for my NCTE presentation.

...for the birthday party for my dear friend who was in serious condition in the hospital a month ago.  He has come so far and his family and friends were excited to celebrate with him.


...for Matt de la Peña writing books that resonate with teens.  My godson, Jay, has not been convinced that books have meaning.  After looking at Jay's choices for school required reading this summer, I suggested he read Matt's book Mexican White Boy.  I thought if any of the books would resonate with Jay, then this one would.  Yesterday, I asked Jay what he wanted me to tell Matt about the book.  I don't have exact quotes but I was excited to hear him praise Matt for writing in a way that sounds like teens would talk.  As a biracial teen, Jay also resonated with this aspect of the story.  And for all of this, I am super thankful.

....and since this is also picture book month, here is my daily picture book recommendation in honor of books that deal with being a biracial child:


by Monica Brown; Illustrated by Sara Palacios
Lee & Low Books (September 2011)