Monday, March 24, 2014

Slice of Life - Clifford and Blue Hair

Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  For the month of March, I am participating in the March Challenge by posting a slice daily.
________________________________________________

It is the first day back from Spring Break.  Amazing how quickly that really relaxed feeling can disappear.  I caught myself at one point in the day when I realized that I needed to start thinking about all of the things I could celebrate rather than let lots of little things distract me.  As I did this, I remembered seeing Clifford this morning. Yes, Clifford the Big Red Dog. 


This morning I had a meeting with the principal and some of the resource staff at one of our elementary schools.  For the past several years, the school has barely had a Library Coordinator (Library Tech or Library Aide as referred to in other districts).  This year, they has someone 4 days a week.  Not only do they have someone 4 days a week, but they have someone that is truly interested in seeing the school develop into a true reading community.  I have worked closely with this Library Coordinator for the past four years and we have discussed books, and reading and doing great things. 

Today, they were celebrating the success of their Scholastic Book Fair, which was held just before spring break.  If my memory serves me, they have not had consistent book fairs in the past couple of years.  To generate more enthusiasm about the fair and buying books, the librarian made a deal with the students that if they each bought a book then she would color her hair blue.  They did and she did.  And to top it off, Clifford also came to school today with blue hair.

Though I did not have a chance to see the librarian and Clifford visit classrooms, I imagine that it was an exciting moment in all of the classrooms.  And more exciting than just Clifford or blue hair is the evidence that I am seeing in other ways as this school slowly develops into a reading community.  Books are becoming meaningful to students. Reading is cool and it is also fun. For students who may not have experienced this enthusiasm over a book, it is happening now.

I look forward to more book adventures and celebrations with this school as we move through the next 10 weeks and into the next school year.