Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Slice of Life - Finding My Writing Voice


Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  For the month of March, I am participating in the March Challenge by posting a slice daily.
__________________________________________________

At the beginning of the month, someone or maybe multiple someones suggested keeping a notebook with ideas for slice posts. I purchased a small notebook that I can put in the side pocket of the bag I carry around. I have jotted down a few ideas.  However, I think I actually have more "draft" slice posts in blogger than anywhere else.  They are the beginnings to slice posts, but I realized that I haven't figured out how to write them.  Several are opinion pieces, and not that I cannot own up to my personal opinions, but if I am going to do it then I want it to be well written.

I just saved to "draft" one of those posts.

Someday I will be bold enough to write about the things that drive me crazy or move me to tears.  Sometimes this has to do with decisions that non-educators make about educational programs and initiatives.  Other times it has to do with things that happen around me.

Though I work to stay pretty positive and tactful, I know I have a tendency to be very straightforward. Though I want to be authentic and honest, I also do not want to be harsh or cruel. Some posts are best to be deleted before they are ever finished, they are as some of my friends say "a hot mess".  Others are best to write and put away until they can be restated in a productive manner.

I suspect that before the month is over I will manage to find the words to write a slice about letters of recommendation. I am pretty certain that what I want to write about poverty and it's impact on children and learning will take much longer than this month to find the right words.  As for problem-solvers, Common Core State Standards, critical thinking, and crazy drivers, well those may happen now or in the future.

What may be most difficult for me is being a judge of my own writing in those situations.  I do not always feel that I am as clear as I want to be. I also want to be succinct and not just drone on about a topic.

To borrow a couple of lines from author, Barry Lyga,
This is going to be long. Because apparently,..., in my desire to be brief, I left room for misinterpretation, which was certainly not my intention.
Those lines completely sum up my feelings about writing about difficult topics.  I can envision the scenario where I wrote something, offended someone, and then tried to clarify and then just dug a deeper and deeper hole.

I do understand that not everyone will agree with what I have to say or what I write. However, I know that unintentional words can still cut deeply and I prefer to chose my words with more care when it comes to difficult topics. I wish I was one of those people who could just spout off their thoughts and not give a darn what others said. Sadly, that is not me. Frankly, my skin isn't thick enough, and my concern for others runs too deep.

Someday those posts will find a voice and legs, but it isn't today.