Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slice of Life - Things I am Thankful For - #sol14

Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  For the month of March, we are posting a slice daily.
_____________________________

On Saturday, I meant to do a joint Slice of Life & Celebrate This Week post.  However, it was pre-empted by my post about the package from Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet. So, I thought I would kick off the new week with a post about what I was thankful for last week.
 


In reviewing the past week, here are 5 things that I am thankful for...

1.  Read Across America - I had a chance to read in five elementary schools and about 8 classes last week.  Reading aloud to a class is one of my favorite things and in my current position, I do not have the opportunity to do it very regularly.  As a result, it was even more wonderful to share books and to read with students.

2.  Awesome Blog Readers - On Monday, I shared a slice called Authors are Magic.  One of my blog readers who lives locally saw the post and dropped off two more copies of A Snicker of Magic for the students at Jackson.  Though this person did not want to be identified, I am celebrating the generosity of their act, and that more students will have the opportunity to read the book.

3. Reading Slice Posts and More - Though it does take time to do this, I have really been enjoying the various slice posts that others have been writing.  I usually find one or two that make me smile, and few that require tissues (even for happy tears), and many that are inspirational.

4.  Quiet Saturdays - Lately, my weekends have felt like mad dashes filled with errands, and appointments and other obligations with little time to stop and recharge.  Yesterday, despite a pretty long "to-do" list, I slowed down.  I spent time checking out new books and chatting with staff at Vromans, and curled up on my couch in my jammies reading a stack of picture books. I also decided to pamper myself with a much needed pedicure.  And I wrapped up the day with a mini-marathon of episodes of Murdoch Mysteries - a television show out of Canada. 

5.  Professional Inspiration - Sometimes all of the daily little things crowd out the bigger view of what is happening.  I had a chance to chat with Donalyn Miller and Teri Lesesne yesterday and it was just the kind of conversation that I needed to get refocused and inspired.  I am forever thankful for the online professional learning community that I am privileged to be a part of.

What are you thankful for this week?