Sunday, March 16, 2014

Slice of Life - New Obsession: Caramel Macchiato


Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  For the month of March, I am participating in the March Challenge by posting a slice daily.
__________________________________________

 On my way to work, I tend to stop by the same Starbucks a couple of days a week. After awhile the baristas try to guess what you are having, especially if the last several times it was a grande nonfat white chocolate mocha with no whip. Sadly, I tend to mix it up and change my mix-ups based on season.  There are a couple of baristas who know this and when they see me they will actually say "you change your order all the time".  Yes, yes, I do.

Well, the weather is getting warmer in the morning which means I have moved on to my warm weather rotation.  Though I tend to lean towards a iced green tea most of the time, I came upon a new choice.  One of my favorites that I discovered last summer is an iced nonfat caramel macchiato.  I tried it out of the blue, when I was trying to get away from iced mochas and landed on this drink.

One of the closer spellings of my name.

Recently, I had an a-ha moment. It occurred to me that I really love that first sip.  The coffee hasn't fully mixed with the milk.  The caramel on top & bottom hasn't completely absorbed into the liquid.  Through the straw, I get a perfect mix of milky caramel with just a hint of coffee and no bitterness.  Maybe if I loved coffee, which I still do not really care for, I would appreciate the rest of the drink. For now, I will just savor that first wonderful sip.