Friday, March 28, 2014

Slice of Life - It's Day 28! - Writing by Hand or Computer


Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers on Tuesdays.  For the month of March, I am participating in the March Challenge by posting a slice daily.
__________________________________________________

It's Day 28! I can't believe that this is my 28th Slice of Life post for the month.

In looking at my last several posts, I realized that they were a little heavier in mood.  So to celebrate four weeks of slicing, I am going with something more fun.

My question to everyone - Do you prefer to write with a pen? pencil? dictation? computer? The reason I bring it up is that I find that normally I do a lot of writing by computer keyboarding.  I like the ease.  You can delete, cut and paste, insert something and it still all looks neat.  However, I do have to say that there are times that I prefer to switch to longhand with pen and paper.

There is something to be said for engaging a different set of muscles.  With paper, I have a bit more freedom.  I can use a pencil or a pen or even switch to markers in different colors. I can use really bold lines or super-micro fine lines.  I can write from left to right, in circles, or I can continue a sentence that I started left to right and have it look like it went right over a cliff.  I can also include doodles or sketches or the real form of cut and paste (cutting something out of a magazine and pasting it into a journal). 

Just as I have freedom with the type of writing utensil, I also can have more freedom with the type of paper I use.  It can be different colors, or different sizes. I can adhere sticky notes on top of other pages.  I can use a spiral bound notebook, or a bound journal or loose-leaf notebook paper, or my favorite - large chart paper.

If you are feeling a bit stifled in your creativity, or just need to change up your routine, maybe it is time to engage more senses while you write and take a walk on the wild side.